Saturday, April 24, 2010

Training Wheels

Recently I've had the urge to ride my bike. It must be spring. I think it would be a great activity for me to get out and enjoy the sunshine. Problem is, I haven't ridden a bike in a long time. So, turns out, it's not really so hard. There are a couple problems though. First, I can't start - I can't pull my legs up on to the pedals (without using my arms). So what I do is I pull one leg up onto a pedal, and then I'm stuck. Normally I would just push off with that one foot and then away you go, just put the other leg on the other pedal. But it's not so easy! So, I need something to stabilize the bike while I use my arms to position my legs on the pedals, and then I can get going. My husband is pretty good at stabilizing the bike for me...but that's not very practical! So, I bought 'adult training wheels'. Yep, I have training wheels on my bike. I have to admit, it is pretty embarrassing. But, worth it I hope. I lean my bike onto one of the training wheels and then I can get my legs ready and push off. So, training wheels, good. BUT, they are super annoying when I am trying to ride and I lean a little bit to either direction. The training wheels hit the ground and then it's all bumpy (riding on gravel) and it makes it harder to steer. So, I am hoping that we can bring the wheels up even higher. That way they will be less likely to hit the ground when riding. It does mean that the bike will be on a big angle when I'm trying to get on. Also, I definitely need a new seat. I guess I can't 'lift' myself off the seat properly while riding and all of my weight goes right on the seat. Not comfortable! So I think a 'comfort' seat might help make it a bit more enjoyable. Regardless, I am so excited to get out there and go for bike rides with my family! And hopefully not too many 7-year-old kids will ride by and make fun of my training wheels.
Enjoy today!

No comments: