Monday, September 12, 2005

isn't it amazing...

My dad is probably my biggest role model, in all aspects of his life. Tonight we were talking over dinner (Chinese! I've missed it these past two weeks) and as he told me stories about what he has been up to since I've moved back to school, he continually stressed God's wonderful timing in his life. "Isn't it amazing how God works!" was probably the most repeated phrase of the night. He told me about the different companies he is working for (consulting), while continuing his job hunt, and how it just so happened that as soon as my brother went back to school, my dad became increasingly busier. The significance of this is that my dad quit his job a few months ago, and his first day off was my brother's first day out of school. My dad got to spend the entire summer home with my brother, driving him to various events, mentoring him, and enjoying the time together. I suppose he was God's gift to my brother this summer, which he was happy to be. And now that my brother doesn't need him as much, suddenly things have picked up drastically for my dad.
He also told me that he got really really sick a couple weeks ago, with an extremely high fever and convulsions. He was actually at a friends' house and had to leave early. Just a few days earlier, however, my parents had big parties two days in a row, of about 50 people and 25 people. "Isn't it amazing how God works" he said, "that I was at someone else's house when I got sick, because it is much easier to leave someone's house than try and send 50 people home!" Also, the night he was sick, my brother was home alone with him, (he was scared to death, he just cried by my dad's bed til my mom came home), and they called my aunt who is a doctor and she quickly prescribed an antibiotic she thought may help, but she couldn't accurately diagnose anything without doing any actual tests (she lives 4 hours away). Anyways, it was 8:30 and the pharmacy closes at 9, so my dad again used the phrase to indicate how perfect it was that he could get antibiotics that night. The next day when my dad went to his family doctor, the doctor told him he was really lucky that my aunt prescribed that specific drug, because the virus he had was only sensitive to two types, and the one he had taken happened to be one of them! Not once did my dad complain about being sick - he only had praise for all the "good" things that happened!
There were many other stories of how wonderful God was working in his life, but in fact, some might easily see these things as tragedies rather than blessings. And while the stories he told me are so neat, it isn't the content of the stories that inspire me, but the attitude of my dad when he tells them. I could listen forever.
I can't help but praise...I am so blessed.
Isn't it amazing how God works, that after two absolutely emotionally and physically exhausting weeks my dad would happen to be in my area (three hours from his home) and take me out for dinner. What a surprise. Such a lucky girl.

No comments: