Monday, February 01, 2010

Coverings

This weekend I tackled two projects I've been meaning to do for quite a while. First, I recovered our cube. Before the makeover it was bright yellow with a fuzzy texture. Super fun, but didn't really fit with our room.

I wanted the cube to have continuous pattern around the sides of the cube, so I only cut out two pieces - one for the top and one long panel to cover all four sides. Then I pinned them together and went to work sewing. The corners were a little tricky because I used just one panel for the sides, but they turned out fine, especially considering I haven't touched a sewing machine for years! I considered making it removable, but I wasn't in the mood for velcro or elastics at the time - stapling the bottom seemed like a much easier solution.

I had also picked up a bulletin board to recover with the same material. I wasn't sure how to deal with the frame. I considered recovering just the board and have the original frame showing, breaking off the frame and having smooth edges, or covering the board and the frame.

I went with the last option. It was the easiest, and I think it gives it a unique look. All I used was hot glue to attach the fabric, and I tried to get nice definition around the inside of the frame. Voila!

No comments: